Thursday, August 16, 2012

Black&White or Colour?

One of the questions I am asked the most is if I will make the St. Trinian's film in black and white or colour. When Ronald was still alive I asked him what he thought and here is his answer from a letter dated January 25th, 2011:

"So far as reproduction is concerned, the drawings were basically conceived in black and white. From time to time there was the odd colour version, so if occasionally splashes of colour are needed why not. No objection."

We created a colour version of the animation test but unfortunately Ronald passed away before I was able to show it to him.




So the answer to the question is: I will use colour when needed. Just as Ronald said.

9 comments:

Carlos Lutterbach said...

Looks great!

GOGOPEDRO said...

Looks great either way man... it might even look good as a film with selected color elements...

P

Tabbi said...

The colour adds a lot of depth to the scene, I like it here, perfect subtleties

Matthew Koh said...

I think it would be better if it's in "a colour".

James Woods said...

The coloured version is beautiful and makes the whole image more accesible to a broad audience... But draws attention away from the Searle-esque line which is at the heart of his work.

For me, I really love the pure, uncoloured image, just because the line quality feels just as important to her entire character as eyes would be to her face.

Beautiful drawings!

David Nethery said...

That approach to the colour looks great. I don't think it dilutes Searle's style. If a hand-drawn film is a hard sell in today's market then I'd think a B & W hand-drawn film would be even more so. Because Searle himself said: " if occasionally splashes of colour are needed why not. No objection." then indeed why not ?

Matt J said...

Precisely-use colour to accent elements when you need it-it'll be even more powerful.

Matt J said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ibby K said...

The coloured version looks more lively. Looks brilliant.